A primer on the institute of Systems & Synthetic Biology (iSSB)
- iSSB was created in 2008 on the foundations of the Epigenomics Project, a Genopole network with a nation-wide reach, dedicated to systems biology since 1999, and to synthetic biology (SynBio) since 2005.
- iSSB had incorporated four teams in four years:
|Start-present François KEPES
2007-2014 Nicolas POLLET
2008-present Alfonso JARAMILLO
2009-present Jean-Loup FAULON
2010-present Piet HERDEWIJN & Philippe MARLIÈRE
- iSSB was the first laboratory dedicated to SynBio in Europe, together with IoSSB at Imperial College London.
- iSSB is the sole French laboratory entirely dedicated to SynBio.
- iSSB currently hosts 43 staff including 34 researchers.
- iSSB raises competitive funds at exceptional levels.
- iSSB ranks 3rd lab in Europe and 9th worldwide for SynBio publications.
- iSSB aims at contributing to the framework of concepts and methods that constitutes the core of SynBio.
- iSSB aims at growing its local SynBio "ecosystem" of education tracks, academic teams, technological platform, and spin-off and other small companies.
- iSSB aims at diffusing SynBio in France and abroad.
Download iSSB here.